When we move into composable architecture. We will need to move the media assets to other platforms. Let’s explore methods of exporting Sitecore Media Library assets to Digital Assets Management (DAM) like Content Hub, AEM, etc. It’s a two-step process of exporting from the source and importing to the destination. We will export the entire Media Library to a zip file and also the asset details to a spreadsheet for validation.
Sitecore Media Library Export to file:
I was exploring the Sitecore Modules, but I realized It could be quickly done using PowerShell Extensions. Right-click on the Media Library node, Navigate to Scripts, and click Download.
The PowerShell script will run for a few mins in my case it ran for 20 minutes for 3GB (depending upon the Media Library size). If you run into timeout issues. Execute at folder levels and finally combine them.
Once the execution is completed it will prompt a pop-up to download the zip file.
P.S: The zip file is temporarily stored in the App_Data folder, but once we download it, it gets deleted.
Sitecore Media Library Export to CSV:
PowerShell extensions script to help export the media library assets file names and path to a spreadsheet.
Another approach to export the data is to use the content export tool.
Incognito/private mode to see if Forms are showing up
Rebuilt Forms folder from Developer menu (faster way)
Rebuilt Sitecore Master Index
After doing above all, Forms weren’t still showing up 🙁 Decided to take a deeper dive.
I checked the JobsViewer(/sitecore/admin/jobs.aspx) to check what jobs are running and to my surprise, the re-indexing only Forms folder was running for more than 2 hours and they were so many jobs queued up (Content Authors may be busy creating more content for the website).
I was wondering what’s causing the indexing queue to be clogged. Checked the Crawling log using Sitecore Log Analyzer to see what’s happening and for every single update, it was triggering re-index synchronously and immediately checked the Indexing Strategy for sitecore_master_index and it was set to syncMaster!
This was the root cause of the problem because every time the Content Author was making a change it was triggering the re-index synchronously, whereas it should asynchronously re-indexed with an interval. I switched it to the intervalAsyncMasterstrategy to fix the issue.
Tip: Sitecore Log Analyzer is a powerful tool for parsing Sitecore log files. It provides the interface to explore and navigate through a large amount of log data.
Here is the patch I used to update the index strategy.
Now within few minutes, all queue jobs cleared and moved to finished jobs.
Checked Forms in Designer view, all forms were showing up! Tada!
While researching the error, came to know that I need to update Rainbow and Unicorn (If you use Unicorn in your project to serialize items make sure you install the No Rainbow package as this will not overwrite Unicorn’s Rainbow DLL files but rather utilize whatever version Unicorn is using (Sidekick can work with any version). You can skip if your project doesn’t use it) packages as it wasn’t compatible with the versions that were installed.
I was wondering what version of these packages(SideKick, Rainbow, and Unicorn) will be compatible with Sitecore 9.0.2 and realized it doesn’t matter!
So decided to update the Sidekick(it automatically updates Rainbow) and Unicorn with the latest version via NuGet. Make sure to update all installed Sidekick packages to up-to-date. In my case, I updated the below ones –
It automatically updated all the dependencies like below
Now updating Unicorn(Skip if your project doesn’t use it for serialization)
All packages and it’s dependencies were successfully installed and deployed to QA and UAT environments(it needs to be deployed to the servers in order to make the contract) and the Sidekick started working.
Now we were able to pull content from any environment!
Installing via Sitecore Package
It is not recommended, If you like to install it in environments directly without check-in to source control, you can install it as a package. Download the latest package at the root of the repo.
I came across a scenario, where I need to update the email field for all custom forms built with ‘EmailTemplate’. Since it’s going to be a bulk update, decided to do it in SPE(so powerful!)
Here is the script I wrote –
This file contains bidirectional Unicode text that may be interpreted or compiled differently than what appears below. To review, open the file in an editor that reveals hidden Unicode characters.
Learn more about bidirectional Unicode characters
Also when installing the Solr, you can add the Port Name and Sitecore Version number or any information in the Description of Details tab.
This is life saver, do not need to worry about which Solr maps which port in the future!
Error # 2: SQL User Issue
“msdeploy.exe : Error: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 12809, Level 16, State 1, Line 5 You must remove all users with password before setting the containment property to NONE. At C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SitecoreInstallFramework\2.2.0\Public\Tasks\Invoke-CommandTask.ps1:31 char:13”
For some reason, the SC10 uninstall did not remove all the variables for failed instances. I removed the ‘sc10_CollectionUser’ in local DB users, fixed the issue.
Error # 3: Credential Issue
“Install-SitecoreConfiguration: A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name ‘Credential’. This error might have been caused by applying the default parameter binding. You can disable the default parameter binding in
$PSDefaultParameterValues by setting $PSDefaultParameterValues[“Disabled”] to be $true, and then trying again. The following default parameters were successfully bound for this cmdlet when the error occurred: -Debug -WarningAction
-Verbose -InformationAction -ErrorAction
At C:\ResourceFiles\XP0-SingleDeveloper.ps1:77 char:1